T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH  

Go Back   T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH > Lunch Rocks > Recent Photos & Reports

Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Little Headwall Master

jake L is a jewel in the roughjake L is a jewel in the roughjake L is a jewel in the rough
Trip Report Hillmans 2-4-12

We arrived at the shelters hoping to get a good look into the ravine, wrong. Aspects posted considerable, still loading, runouts across the plan of ascent, alternative options?
Hillmans went a few days prior leaving lots of debris through the lower section, didn't touch the new slide, soon I hope.

Just above, the slope was soft and deep. Found a couple layers of interesting, crumbly, soft graupel with no signs of propagation but failing on a surface 8 inches deep on a couple wrist taps...high point reached.

The turns were excellent! We stayed skiers left and managed the runout through to the bottom. The Sherb skied OK, sections of soft drift, bullet proof and ice, no base busters at least. Fun day on the hill.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
HoJo 's Or Bust

The_Doog is on a distinguished road
Good on ya for getting up that high. I got as far as HoJos' and spied the windloading going on up high and for similar reasons as you, decided that venturing into the bowl was probably not wise. I considered Hillman's with ascent up climbers left but couldn't convince anyone else in my group to poke around up higher. It was probably just as well as my hands got super cold changing layers at HoJo's and didn't really warm up until I got back down Sherb. Thought about another lap up GOS but due to the cold temps and my overzealous reglue on my skins, there was no pulling those things apart. Had to put them on the heater at home for a while just pull them apart. On a side note - anyone know how to fix that?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Jake! Getting the turns and staying alert...working that spidey sense!

Yipes Doog! that's tough..no idea how to fix it...unless they are as smooth as new but you don't have an ez-strip. If you don't have the strips, check with BD for replacements. If you can get them, install one down the center of each skin...

The other way would be to use the cheat sheet between the two skins out in the field...a bit of a hassle, but it could save your day.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Toni Matt Club *

Seeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant future
They still stay stuck after you put them in your jacket?
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST."
Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Toni Matt Club *

surf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond reputesurf88 has a reputation beyond repute
I went for a walk up there friday. THe 60mph winds were transporting alot of snow, graupel and larger pieces of dislodged rime/crust from rain ect into the ravines, I can imagine it must have been a pretty interesting slab you were looking at in your pit there .
I took this shot just below lions head, if you have a good monitor you can see all snow and ice in the air.

I didnt have a full face balaclava so I ended up turning around at lions head, and then taking a little walk over to check out conditions in huntington.
I took this shot over at huntington of the snow wind loading the ravine.

Last edited by surf88; 02-06-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Nice shots J!

When I elected to get the TKR I was pretty sure it would be a start-to-finish heavy snows year and I'd be crying into my Ale! It's kind of a shock that it isn't so good. The BC has been stingy with the goods and the Resorts/Shops/B&B/Restaurants/etc are all struggling with this lean year...
Old 02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Little Headwall Master

jake L is a jewel in the roughjake L is a jewel in the roughjake L is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf88 View Post
I went for a walk up there friday. THe 60mph winds were transporting alot of snow, graupel and larger pieces of dislodged rime/crust from rain ect into the ravines, I can imagine it must have been a pretty interesting slab you were looking at in your pit there .
I took this shot just below lions head, if you have a good monitor you can see all snow and ice in the air.

I didnt have a full face balaclava so I ended up turning around at lions head, and then taking a little walk over to check out conditions in huntington.
I took this shot over at huntington of the snow wind loading the ravine.

Nice pics, really shows how much transporting was going on...a lot.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Little Headwall Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doog View Post
Good on ya for getting up that high. I got as far as HoJos' and spied the windloading going on up high and for similar reasons as you, decided that venturing into the bowl was probably not wise. I considered Hillman's with ascent up climbers left but couldn't convince anyone else in my group to poke around up higher. It was probably just as well as my hands got super cold changing layers at HoJo's and didn't really warm up until I got back down Sherb. Thought about another lap up GOS but due to the cold temps and my overzealous reglue on my skins, there was no pulling those things apart. Had to put them on the heater at home for a while just pull them apart. On a side note - anyone know how to fix that?
Yea, not too many options that day. I agree with RR, put some center strips on the skins. They can only get less sticky...
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Headwall Master

JAS71 has much to be proud ofJAS71 has much to be proud ofJAS71 has much to be proud ofJAS71 has much to be proud ofJAS71 has much to be proud ofJAS71 has much to be proud ofJAS71 has much to be proud ofJAS71 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake L View Post
Yea, not too many options that day. I agree with RR, put some center strips on the skins. They can only get less sticky...
Pine needles work great too... I'm only half joking, but the BD skins I have with a touch of debris seem to be in a near perfect balance of adhesion and remove-ability.

But more on topic, thanks to Jake and Surf88 for the great pics and conditions updates!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Little Headwall Master

Quote:
Pine needles work great too... I'm only half joking, but the BD skins I have with a touch of debris seem to be in a near perfect balance of adhesion and remove-ability.

But more on topic, thanks to Jake and Surf88 for the great pics and conditions updates!
That and cog tar
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Headwall Master

skimtwashington is just really niceskimtwashington is just really niceskimtwashington is just really niceskimtwashington is just really nice
The Doog's glue problem....

Maybe start over. Remove old glue if too thick( paper shopping bag on glue and iron...). Buy glue sheet from BD like RR says. Or if you by glue bottle you must paint on the thinnest even layer..but it's tedious and difficult.

'Cheat sheets' to separate skins are easy fix.

Watch out... when thick gloppy glue job('scuse my french!) gets old it will come off onto ski base and will be harder than klister to get off- and slows your skis . I have a bad pair of skins like that now I have to replace or re-glue.