T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH  

Go Back   T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH > Lunch Rocks > Gear Talk

Old 03-11-2012, 07:09 PM
HoJo 's Or Bust

twilsey is on a distinguished road
I bought them off Craigslist, they're coming mounted w/o the brake but brake is included. I was thinking I'd put the brakes on, but maybe I'll think twice about that. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Pinkham Notch Visitor

jfalabella is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up settled on a ski

I have spent several seasons skiing the Nomad 168 in the woods of NE. My Nomads are set up for tele and that rig WAS my favorite for tight NE tree skiing. I just spent a full day on the Nomad RKR 181 at Alta. Pushed them around with BD Primes. The RKR's are incredibly versatile. I took them through steep powder, corn, crud, soft groomed and that endearing NE-like boiler plate. For a light ski, they are responsive, stable and turn initiation is quick and intuitive. AND they can take the inevitable abuse you will encounter in the woods of NE. Icelantic skis are built for abuse. My five year old Shaman tele rig is holding up so well, I just re-purposed them with Fritsche Free ride PROs.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Hi J, welcome to the forums!

We have some Nomad fanciers here...never skied them but compared to the the skis I have shop-tested and skied, the shop-test are very promising.

It will be a little while before my Pro-Riders wear out...when they do, Nomads share a spot with the P-Rs at the top of the list!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Toni Matt Club **
Smilie Abuser

PWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond repute
I've found my new planks are my preferred go to ski for our maritime BC ski zone is Sluff by Movement. They are amazingly lightweight and wide... like mid fat wide (132/99/118).... I've tested them out in Colorado recently with conditions that were identical to a 'normal' New England winter and they performed well. Stiff enough in the tails(turned up too) and yet soft enough to easily initiate turns in the trees when needed.

I mounted an old unused pair of Naxo2's that I'll use until they disintegrate. Then I'll go with Barons or similar.

Like it has been said.... know your style and the conditions you'll likely to be skiing in.

Otherwise for my high mountain trekking I go for my uber light Ski Trabs Sint Aero with the dynafiddle binders. Too noodily and flexy for anything requiring stiffness but they get me around.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWDR8S View Post
...Ski Trabs Sint Aero with the dynafiddle binders. Too noodily and flexy for anything requiring stiffness but they get me around.
True dat!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Toni Matt Club *

icelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond repute
nomads

fun ski, but what ski isn't in good snow? mine lasted about 2/3rds of a season b4 they lost most of their snap. poplar wood core is pretty weak for ski building, unless you add metal, which icelantic does not.

rog