T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH  

Go Back   T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH > Lunch Rocks > Gear Talk

Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
HoJo 's Or Bust

mtmike will become famouser soon enoughmtmike will become famouser soon enough
Home Brewed Sled?

Does anyone have any experience in building or using a homemade pult?
I did a quik search on the internet, and found a couple of plans for making a B/C sled. The ones with the most detail were made out of the "Paris Company Expedition Sled". I began looking around locally and some mail order places for one, but no love... I dont know if they stopped making these things, or if they're just hard to find. If anyone knows of a good recepie with readily available parts, I'd be most interested.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Little Headwall Master

davygoat2 has a spectacular aura aboutdavygoat2 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to davygoat2
there is a thread either here in TFT or in telemarktips.com.
was pretty easy ans wasn't a budget breaker either.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Do a search on the word "pulk" and you will fine everything from rope towed kids sleds to carbon fiber expedition transporters.

Or you could have a look here: http://www.timefortuckerman.com/foru...ad.php?t=14589
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 AM
HoJo 's Or Bust

Thanks,
With the help of RR's post and Google at-el, I managed to put something together this weekend. I got a Paris "Expedition Sled" form Auchubon True value Hardware. They told me that that they stock them mostly for the ice fishermen. The chain is a distributer for them. They also had 5 ft. x 1/2in. fiberglass poles (intended for plant stakes) and all sorts of stainless steel hardware. So with that, some beaners, and a little rope craft I was able to toss a basic sled together. I screwed 2 strips of light aluminum angle iron skegs to the bottom to help keep it from sliding sideways. I think that the sluly poles might end up needing some tweking, but I think that it's mostly there. Since there isn't any snow for a hundred miles, I don't think I'll be able to test drive this beauty until the fall but I'm sure that Basil Hayeon and his Jamacan buddies will be very comfortable.

First step of the "Katadin or Bust" compain complete..
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Toni Matt Club *

Seeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmike View Post
Thanks,
With the help of RR's post and Google at-el, I managed to put something together this weekend. I got a Paris "Expedition Sled" form Auchubon True value Hardware. They told me that that they stock them mostly for the ice fishermen. The chain is a distributer for them. They also had 5 ft. x 1/2in. fiberglass poles (intended for plant stakes) and all sorts of stainless steel hardware. So with that, some beaners, and a little rope craft I was able to toss a basic sled together. I screwed 2 strips of light aluminum angle iron skegs to the bottom to help keep it from sliding sideways. I think that the sluly poles might end up needing some tweking, but I think that it's mostly there. Since there isn't any snow for a hundred miles, I don't think I'll be able to test drive this beauty until the fall but I'm sure that Basil Hayeon and his Jamacan buddies will be very comfortable.

First step of the "Katadin or Bust" compain complete..
When are you planning to go? I heard reports that rangers were telling people to leave early because the snow was melting so fast they wouldn't be able to get their gear out via sleds.

More info here:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...-trails-closed
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST."

Last edited by Seeker; 03-26-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added URL.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Cool that you pulled it togerther. Let's see some pix....we need a sled icon!
Is just not the same....

There will be some fresh cover yet, but it still looks like next year for sled-based trips around here.

Maybe you could paint some eyes on your sled, so it can see where it's going
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
HoJo 's Or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Cool that you pulled it togerther. Let's see some pix....we need a sled icon!
Is just not the same....

There will be some fresh cover yet, but it still looks like next year for sled-based trips around here.

Maybe you could paint some eyes on your sled, so it can see where it's going
My fabrication crew is a 11 year old. at one point, not only did it have eyes, but steer horns and a barbie seat too. The final picks only sported a flask and small cedar box.

I tried to add pics, and got an error message.
Something about already using my maximum of -1 pics???

I'm sure it's something I did wrong. After I get past that technical diffaculty, I'm sure I could post a pic or two and a fair pulk icon.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 AM
HoJo 's Or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
When are you planning to go? I heard reports that rangers were telling people to leave early because the snow was melting so fast they wouldn't be able to get their gear out via sleds.

More info here:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...-trails-closed
I'm not going til next year.
I'll be rehabbing and training until then.
I've never been there, so the Mrs and I will be going up for a few days when the park opens for the summer.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Toni Matt Club *

Seeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant futureSeeker has a brilliant future
You will LOVE it! Beautiful place in summer.
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST."
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Toni Matt Club **

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmike View Post
I tried to add pics, and got an error message.
Something about already using my maximum of -1 pics???

I'm sure it's something I did wrong. After I get past that technical diffaculty, I'm sure I could post a pic or two and a fair pulk icon.
Here's the way we have to post pics:
http://www.timefortuckerman.com/foru...ad.php?t=13339
Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Left Gully Master

Moops has a spectacular aura aboutMoops has a spectacular aura about
YES...photos please...I've been building one for the last two-three-months...I move slow when there is no incentive (a.k.a snow)...looks like you beat me by some 60-90 days on completion...

BTW, how did you attach the hardware to the fiberglass poles? I tried threading them but could not get threads to take...I opted for JB Weld and some barrel screws through the HW and poles...