T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH  

Go Back   T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH > Lunch Rocks > Recent Photos & Reports

Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Sherburne Trail Master

Burtonguy401 will become famouser soon enough
Is it safe to play...?

Been a petty whacky and wild year, I'm sure we can all agree on that. I have a simple question for the "tuckerman experts." I understand there's no predicting the future, but is it safe for somebody like me, who's snowboarded the ravine last year in "normal spring 60 degree skiing", who's hiked more than a dozen mountains, but IS NOT a winter mountaineer, will left gully be "safe" to hike up and ride down Saturday-Sunday afternoon? I dont have crampons, doesn't matter anyway I don't know how to use them, and I have minimal ice axe self arrest skills, consider I have 0 self arrest skills.

I'm not concerned about crevasses, or icefall, I understand those hazards and I clearly stay away from that. It's the "long sliding falls" and hardened surface due to cold temperatures these past days. Now typically I would assume this is totally unsafe, but from what I hear there's a small chance of blue skies.

Once again I'm assuming this is a no-go. But I'd like to hear an opinion or two on this weekend. Will a little snow and a little sun soften up the ravine for me?

I plan to stay at hermit lake for a night, regardless, as I need to get out the smallest state and get some down time in. Even if there's no riding involved a little adventure is on my list this weekend maybe I'll see you there
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Toni Matt Club *

icelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond repute
nope

left won't soft'n this weekend by the looks of things. if enough new snow falls, wind may transport some into high skiers left down to the narrows which may make things look purdy, but may be sensitive to the touch or lightly cover tilted hockey rink in many areas leading you to believe that dull edges won't matter much.

rog
Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
The Lip Master

VTColdSmoke is a jewel in the roughVTColdSmoke is a jewel in the roughVTColdSmoke is a jewel in the rough
I'm no expert, but the rangers are. Jeff Lane will probably be up there, he'll tell you what's safe... Maybe Lower snowfields, upper Sherbie?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Toni Matt Club *

icelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond reputeicelanticskier has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTColdSmoke View Post
Maybe Lower snowfields, upper Sherbie?
done and done. brush and grass. from sluice cliffs down along lunch rocks will prob be best bet due to cold temps keeping what little ice is left in that area in place, and if the sun decides to come out for long enuff, that area will be the most likely to soften.

rog
Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Toni Matt Club **

P-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant futureP-HUG has a brilliant future
From Mr Lane himself in today's bulletin, pretty much sums up the answer to your question:

Long sliding falls will also be an easy way to hurt yourself through the weekend. Cold temperatures will keep surfaces pretty darned icy. As a snowboarder, I can sympathize with people who want to climb up while wearing soft round boots, but these are not the conditions for that! Really you ought to be using hard boots with crampons, and an ice axe for self-arresting. But, beware of overconfidence in your self–arrest skills; you’ll need lightning fast reflexes to arrest the fall before reaching terminal velocity. Once you gain a little speed, you’ll stand little chance of being able to stop yourself. With limited visibility and a variety of obstacles in your fall line, this isn’t something you want to learn about firsthand.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Toni Matt Club *

update

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchec...eekend-update/

careful everyone.

rog
Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Pinkham Notch Visitor

CaptainAB is on a distinguished road
Was in the bowl today but did not ski. Classic NH - Cold and very windy. Looked to be some blowing snow over bulletproof hardback and definitely some cracks in the surface. That being said, had the wind not been so bad or the sun come out, I probably would have given left gulley or chute a try.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Hiya Cappy! Did you attend Slackfest two seasons ago?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Sherburne Trail Master

Burtonguy401 will become famouser soon enough
Blah

Well I've decided to not even waste my gas, I'm hoping for a better chance next weekend. I'm doing my warm weather dance as we speak!!

Thanks for everybody's advice, and rog for the quick reply.

Cheers all, I'll be downhill longboarding to try and substitue
Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Toni Matt Club *

Tomorrow

should be delightful on the hill. looking forward to a walk.

rog
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Toni Matt Club *

and

today was.................

total of 4 people in the bowl all day. including 2 of us. whoever said tux was a busy place?

the terrible wx and aweful snow musta kept folks away

rog
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Toni Matt Club *

boardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond reputeboardman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
today was.................

total of 4 people in the bowl all day. including 2 of us. whoever said tux was a busy place?

the terrible wx and aweful snow musta kept folks away

rog
Doubt it. More like WORK kept people away! The Rangers made no bones about what a great day for skiing George was likely to be, in their forecast yesterday.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Toni Matt Club *

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman View Post
Doubt it. More like WORK kept people away! The Rangers made no bones about what a great day for skiing George was likely to be, in their forecast yesterday.
yes, i had a nice visit with one on the way up. chute skied about as good as it gets. top perfect corn. mid great dense pow. lower more perfect corn. not a track in it. left was great as well for a few t2b "peel way" laps. gonna last a while.

much better than the otto road skiing will be, that's fer sure.

rog