T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH  

Go Back   T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH > Lunch Rocks > Recent Photos & Reports

Old 04-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Toni Matt Club

natron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to behold
East powfields (4-12-12)

Awesome solo day on the hill, was hoping for some pow, I found it! knee deep to waist deep pow in NE fields! Only did 2 runs, (mainly due to little practice of uphill knee deep to waist deep bootpacking this year and wanting to give myself extra time for the out) def. the best 2 runs I've had in that zone and prolly been there 15ish times.. looking good for may turns above 4k in many spots on the hill, the price? downhike.. Came within 10 ft. of a moose on the hike up, they look silly hiding behind little trees! Never encountered any skiers or riders.. Encountered all types of weather breaks of sun, socked in, snow squalls, graupel, hail, however with light winds everything is pleasant! I failed as a photog. borrowed my buddys gopro and forgot to charge the battery, so I carried that around for nothing.. anyways the snow was awesome, bottomless pow turns, hope peeps are slaying it today and tomorrow!

freshies!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

crappy pic, looking into the sun, my 2 runs turns are in the middle..
[IMG][/IMG]

scenics
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Toni Matt Club

jshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by natron View Post
[...]wanting to give myself extra time for the out[...]
Which was . . . ? (Hard to figure out what still has skiable cover, given the Big Meltdown followed by the Return to Winter -- and all those summit obs website webcam pics don't really help since they could just be rocks painted white pretty much!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natron View Post
Came within 10 ft. of a moose on the hike up, they look silly hiding behind little trees!
Wow, cool! But where? I can't remember ever seeing any charismatic megafauna up there.
Check out the NE Rando Race Series: http://nerandorace.blogspot.com/ ... and also my avalanche and related courses: http://avycourse.blogspot.com. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Toni Matt Club

natron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to beholdnatron is a splendid one to behold
my scenic pix didn't give it away?

well, going by the avy report on wed. tux looked no go, they were even recommending people take boot spur to avoid lion head, so I took the low angle scenic approach.. anyways on the exit, plenty above 4k and then I followed a white ribbon pass the 3k marker.. (the ribbon for the last 1k, was only 1-2 ft. wide, I left nothing, so this is really out of play) my down-hike became more of a side-hike, beats the trt or gosst or cog or art downhikes!

the moose= 3,300ish ft., 10ft. off the side of the "trail".. (no pic. cam in pack)

Last edited by natron; 04-13-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Toni Matt Club

jshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond reputejshefftz has a reputation beyond repute
Ah yes, now I recognize that perspective! (And sure looks good in there right now, although so hard to tell how good it really is.)

Almost a month ago I thought it was ready to open up for the season. But I guess they knew something we didn't! Good thinking to use it as an access route, and nice seeing the snowfields with lots of, well snow!
Check out the NE Rando Race Series: http://nerandorace.blogspot.com/ ... and also my avalanche and related courses: http://avycourse.blogspot.com. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
The Lip Master

ChrisG has a spectacular aura aboutChrisG has a spectacular aura about
Nice to see the full white canvas again. Thanks for the report and stoke.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Amen to that!

Sure is good to see so much snow!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Little Headwall Master

jake L is a jewel in the roughjake L is a jewel in the roughjake L is a jewel in the rough
Knee to waist deep...

...OH YEA! Way to get it, one foot wide ribbons and all!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Toni Matt Club

hey jake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake L View Post
...OH YEA! Way to get it, one foot wide ribbons and all!
nice meeting ya last month @ the closed shawnee!
I should prolly clarify, that the snowboarding wasn't knee-to waist, the pow wasn't blower, more of a medium density blanket, great for riding only sunk in about 1-2 ft. and allowed for good speed too.. not good for bootpacking solo, above the knee on every step, with occasional waist deep wallowing
the ribbon was great, allowed for 0 turns, but just wide enough for my board and low angle and slushy enough for carefree pointing..

*special day for sure, may be a long time before I get that quality and that quantity of pow again on mt.w....

Last edited by natron; 04-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Headwall Master

M V Skier is a glorious beacon of lightM V Skier is a glorious beacon of lightM V Skier is a glorious beacon of lightM V Skier is a glorious beacon of lightM V Skier is a glorious beacon of light
Monday?

Great TR. Have been contemplating that for a little while... After rain tomorrow and a hot day Monday, how far down do you think I could slide Monday afternoon?

Bringing some noobs up there—somewhere— monday and mulling over the options....
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Headwall Master

TuaGuy is a splendid one to beholdTuaGuy is a splendid one to beholdTuaGuy is a splendid one to beholdTuaGuy is a splendid one to beholdTuaGuy is a splendid one to beholdTuaGuy is a splendid one to beholdTuaGuy is a splendid one to behold
Nice, Nate. Just the stoke to quit workin' and head up tomorrow. See you out there.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Toni Matt Club

hey steve!

hope ya had a good-day on the hill, hope the snow was creamy and not sticky.. saw Brownfield R. @ RWC last month and saw him again @ riv as I was driving away the other day, good to see him getting after it!