T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH  

Go Back   T4T Forums - Tuckerman Ravine NH > Lunch Rocks > General Discussion - TUX

Old 12-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Toni Matt Club *

Rider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like I'll be splitting up

Well all this week I've been "stuck" in the flatlands, first in Iowa and now in Michigan, with my folks. Question: do Christmas cookies go down easier with Sam Adams beer?

But a week ago saturday I had a nice riding day at Sunapee with the kiddos. The conditions were totally man-made, but the point was to ride my "new" Winterstick Severe Terrain with plate bindings and AT ski boots before I split this board on the bandsaw as a sacrifice to the back-country gods. See, with the Split Decision kit by Voile once the binding mounting plates are bolted down, that's all she wrote; you better like what you did!

I was a little concerned about maintaining a feel for the terrain with this setup (as compared to soft boots with straps or Clickers), so I was pleased to be able to work into a turning rhythm with little difficulty; it was immediately clear that the carving control with this setup would be superior to my soft boots, riding steep hardpack with a nice ease (next time I'll try bombing at a higher stance angles with the Rossi VAS race stick that came with the bindings). Over the course of the day I tweaked the setup, playing with the stance and then tension on the boot buckles to allow for some flex without heel uplift. I got my best results by locking the ankle on my front boot, and leaving the rear boot in the "walk mode" to provide more flex in the finish; this came in handy when airing off some kickers here and there.

Well I'm won't be no Terje with this setup, but it looks like it won't kill me either. Next time I'll be doing the nasty on the board; I will post pics.

Steve
Old 12-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Toni Matt Club *

pepperdawg is a jewel in the roughpepperdawg is a jewel in the roughpepperdawg is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider.Steve
The conditions were totally man-made, but the point was to ride my "new" Winterstick Severe Terrain with plate bindings and AT ski boots before I split this board on the bandsaw as a sacrifice to the back-country gods. See, with the Split Decision kit by Voile once the binding mounting plates are bolted down, that's all she wrote; you better like what you did!
---
Well I'm won't be no Terje with this setup, but it looks like it won't kill me either. Next time I'll be doing the nasty on the board; I will post pics.

Steve

So you got the Voile splitboard kit? PLease share on how the 'transformation' goes....interesting, very interesting....I've been trying to track down someone who has actually tried it...

"What are ya? - some sort of half-ass astronaut???"
"Why Me??...I'm nobody..I dont even have a dog"
Old 12-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Toni Matt Club **

Location: following Diogenes, but the ba$tard threw away the lamp so I'm just stumbling along in the dark!
RR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond reputeRR has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome dude! Look out GOS/Oakes, here comes Steve and the gang!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Toni Matt Club *

Rider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond reputeRider.Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperdawg
So you got the Voile splitboard kit? PLease share on how the 'transformation' goes....interesting, very interesting....I've been trying to track down someone who has actually tried it...
Picked up the split kit from Gear Exchange listing on Couloirmag.com, the board used on ebay, and the traction skins from Backcountry.com.

I've seen that some have used a skillsaw to cut the board in half, but I worry about the rotary blade and carbide tips on the carbon steel board edges (o.k. I'm chicken), so I'm using the bandsaw.

My brother-in-law (a woodworker) recommends Crazy Glue to seal the edges.

I'll post the pics when I've got 'em.

Steve
Old 12-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Toni Matt Club *

pepperdawg is a jewel in the roughpepperdawg is a jewel in the roughpepperdawg is a jewel in the rough
Looking forward to pics.....so it sounds as if it IS a straight cut?? I was wondering if you needed to use a router to create opposing notch/groove (not sure of exact term, wanna say dove-tail, but know that not right) to better lock together the 2 halves together........

"What are ya? - some sort of half-ass astronaut???"
"Why Me??...I'm nobody..I dont even have a dog"
Old 12-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Toni Matt Club **
Smilie Abuser

PWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond reputePWDR8S has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Looking forward to pics.....so it sounds as if it IS a straight cut?? I was wondering if you needed to use a router to create opposing notch/groove (not sure of exact term, wanna say dove-tail, but know that not right) to better lock together the 2 halves together........
Do you mean like biscuits and grooves? Hmmmm.... sounds like lunch!

Interesting project Steve! I'm curious as to how it works out. Not that I use a board but more as an sliding device engineering POV. It sounds like it has good potentila fo B/C fun!

Old 12-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Lunch Rock Dude

Toddski has a spectacular aura aboutToddski has a spectacular aura aboutToddski has a spectacular aura about

UUHHHGGG! I need to join another forum like I need another hole in my head!....actually a snorkel hole might be cool…anyways lurker no more. Hi Everyone!

Ok Rider Steve, before you start making puzzle pieces with a band saw, is the board a wood Core? WinterStick should be wood core, more wood the better! I cut mine on a table saw. After finding the center of my board, it was sandwiched and screwed in between two pieces of ¾ mdf, cut it on the table saw, bottom down. (pics somewhere, got to dig), I kept telling the saw operator to PRE-SCORE the metal edges on tip and tail! He assured me the saw would slide though the steel, which it did on the tip of the board. Problems arose when the blade hit the rear edge after sailing though butter. Not wanting to stall out and get a big saw curve etched into the split seam, we pushed though with haste and sparks...blew out some edge on both sides of the tail. Nice cut though. Tail lam and edge need a little TLC. (Pic somewhere, get off my back).

Crazy Glue?!!?? What are you crazy Steve? I fixed the tail blow out with clamps and the same stuff I was going to seal up my edges with..WEST epoxy system! This stuff rocks, used it to fill the holes in the ptex too (yeah I’m lazy). Hardware mounting is a breeze, except I hit a mental roadblock with the puck attachment. 8 little woodscrews per foot hood those pucks on, which in turn holds me on! I don’t want to add more “sex nuts” and drill though the P, maybe weaken the board more. But if I go with the wood screws and they rip out , will I be able to t-bolt them later?…will I still be alive to do that?...should I just buy a frigging Burton and save myself the stress?!!

So that’s where I’m at guys-trying to figure out the best way to attach my pucks!

This is a wicked fun project: brand new Evol 168 board-$80. new split kit and skins- $140. LONG LIVE EBAY!

Toddski Out.

Last edited by Toddski; 12-28-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Toni Matt Club *

Ispoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud ofIspoiler has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Ispoiler
I can't offer any advice on the cut, I looked into my options and just went with the NS split. As for the hard boots, I can offer my two cents. I rode the upper snowfields, tucks, and the Sherburne recently and I really liked the hardboots w/straps once I got used to them. What I liked best about hardboots w/ straps is that there was still abit of that surfy feel we all crave. I have never been in ski boots but an advantage to plastic mountaineering boots is that you can lounge around camp or even sleep in the liners and not have to drag up something else to wear on your feet.

Todd, good luck with split!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Toni Matt Club *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddski
Hi Everyone!

I kept telling the saw operator to PRE-SCORE the metal edges on tip and tail!
I've thought of this as a possibility with the table saw and may reconsider.

Quote:

Crazy Glue?!!?? What are you crazy Steve? I fixed the tail blow out with clamps and the same stuff I was going to seal up my edges with..WEST epoxy system! This stuff rocks, used it to fill the holes in the ptex too (yeah I’m lazy). Hardware mounting is a breeze, except I hit a mental roadblock with the puck attachment. 8 little woodscrews per foot hood those pucks on, which in turn holds me on! I don’t want to add more “sex nuts” and drill though the P, maybe weaken the board more. But if I go with the wood screws and they rip out , will I be able to t-bolt them later?…
Epoxy was my first thought, but I know from experience that it tends to be brittle and can chip, so the Crazy Glue (while crazy) actually seems like it could be best. I think a test of some sort is in order here.

As for the pucks, it will be bolts for me. I've blown out a binding once before and it was not a pretty picture for my ankle. Took three (summer months) to come back from that.

Welcome to the board Todd. Looks like your split setup is ready to rip!

Steve
Old 12-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Toni Matt Club **

DMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddski
But if I go with the wood screws and they rip out , will I be able to t-bolt them later?…will I still be alive to do that?...should I just buy a frigging Burton and save myself the stress?!!
Ahhh - remember the old days when you had to screw your crappy Simms bindings into your cheesy Barfoot snowboard...
Old 12-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Lunch Rock Dude

Toddski has a spectacular aura aboutToddski has a spectacular aura aboutToddski has a spectacular aura about

Whoa! I better flip the cable on the pin or I’m going to get flipped by the cable!

I just followed the instructions and used the wood screws for the pucks, they defiantly are long enough, because I have a few tiny pimples on my bottom…. of the board. The board is very solid all together. It’s ready for a test run….crap no, it needs wax.

Steve- Ask me any questions about the various procedures of the split or hardware mounting as you get to them, I’ll be glad to answer them my man!

So my splitboard is complete and ready for a mission! Please All T4Ters do a quick snow dance and a prayer for some fresh snow fall down here in York so I can test it out on Aggie. I can’t see myself taking this homemade rig down a crusty Amanomoosic..Anomousek..Anamoo..that Ravine or trashing up the bare outside edge in ski mode on a rocky, rocky icy climb... but this board will be a great back country woods powder cruzer! Finally I’ll be able to keep up with my snobby fast climbing Tele friends in the Whites and I look forward to not getting yelled at for my msr snowshoes. So long, long branches that reach out and grab onto my stick which is jutting out of my bag and collecting wind! Bring on the snow! Bring on the burn! A splitboarder is born!

Don't even get me started about fricken HARDBOOTS! When will some company smarten up and design the perfect BC boot and binding!

YO! Pepdog are you going to do a split?

Last edited by Toddski; 12-30-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Toni Matt Club *

Quote:
Well Toddski (Todd.Rider?) beat me to the punch, but I've done the deed over several late-night bull sessions. Pics to prove it!

Before I get into into it I wish to honor Mainwaring for bird-dogging the split kit on Couloirmag gear exchange.
I picked up the board used on ebay for $70 - very reasonable, and less pain if the project tanked. I also found a nice link to an article on Couloir: http://www.couloirmag.com/gear/snowb...it_a_board.htm

To business - Here's the Winterstick ST 166 with Bomber Trenchdigger bindings. I rode these plates a couple times out this season to get a feel for setup with the plates and hard boots. Good thing too, because I found out that I ride a much narrower 19 in. stance with the plates on a freeride board compared to my 21 in. soft boot stance.

Next I put masking tape around the board and marked the center line. I was surprised to find that the top sheet pattern varied from 1/16 in. to 1/8 in. off-center, which required that I recalibrate my markings. Moral: Ignore the top sheet pattern and make your marks based on the inserts and board width measurements. I was glad that I double-checked.

I wanted to use a table saw to do the split for precision, but didn't want to ruin the carbide blade cutting the steel board edges or get burning metal in my eyeball. I used a spare set of binding screws to bolt a plank to the board inserts and then screwed additional planks on top. The planks were aligned to run on the saw fence for an easy straight cut, and they were built up enough to hold the board together throughout the cut, reducing the possibility of kickback. I set the blade height a little lower than the upturned board nose and tail to avoid hitting the steel edges.

I used a hack saw to cut through the steel edges and finish the split, and then filed the rough eges and sanded a bevel onto the newly split edges. The extra setup time was justified by a swift and sweet cut and finishing of the split.

Hardware installation is nearly complete. I discovered that 8 screws for the binding pucks were missing from the kit, so I deferred installing the rear pucks and called Voile to get additional screws. I discovered from the customer rep that Voile has a few binding cants on hand in their factory, so I ordered a set along with the special screws that go with them, and asked him to throw in the climbing crampons. That should all arrive next week. The Voile rep. was a true gem; aside from good advice he told me that he has ridden Tux 14 times before he moved to Utah for winters and he runs a kite-boarding school out of Wellfleet during the summer.

It will be another week or two to have this puppy fully loaded, but the project has been fun and there isn't much in the way of goods to ride just now anyway. But hopefully it's all going downhill soon (and up the hill too).

Steve

Last edited by Rider.Steve; 02-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Toni Matt Club **
Purple Butt Club

Affix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond reputeAffix Snow has a reputation beyond repute
Great Job Steve!!!!!

Serious Rep.

Now we just need snow.

Oh and lets not forget about the T4T Splitboard Party.....sometime.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Lunch Rock Dude

Nice Steve! Looks Good! You’re quick too, I started mine last March!

I just finished tweaking my binding set up today, tweak,tweak, tweek and trips to hardware store for short SS bolts. The old burtons I had kicking around just wouldn’t do…too bulky, plastic, asymmetric high back. Sooo..Luckly my Mom, God bless her soul is still buying her 35 year old son cool ski gear for xmas, but unfortunately although my handle indicates otherwise, this snowboarder would not be caught dead wearing SPYDER gear, so a quick return at Putnam’s was in full effect baby..Ooo yeah..New Bindings! Technically since this was a returned gift it will not count against me in the overall sum of my dirt cheap splitboard project which came to a grand total of $240. Ok even if you add the new bling onto it…total project…eBay shipping included beeyatchs.. $359. damn I’m good!

So these RIDE bindings are great! Super low profile aluminum base and heel cup, built in cushion on the bottom, low profile hardware. Perfect.

Last thing I’m going to do since this snow storm sucks arse, is T-nut the two holes in the pucks closet to the steel edge of the board. I still do not trust the wood screws for holding me to the board, but drilling though every puck hole….that’s funny….any way its over kill to t-nut all eight puck holes, but four per foot should do the trick.

Once again Steve, Good job! I’m interested in how the crampons fit when you get them, please post pics, glad to hear service was good.

Last edited by Toddski; 01-08-2005 at 04:39 PM.