Originally Posted by NtrentT
Im still heading out in the second week of Feb.
U guys think the activity will lessen by then?
still a long way off, but i'll report what i saw out there:
sat: after the avalanche in the canyons, our sphincters puckered pretty tight and we stayed in bounds at the bird
sun&mon: avy danger still HIGH. warm weather with minimal refreeze both days added weight to the snowpack. the snow that came in the prior week had a heavy h20 content and was followed by high degree of wind loading on mostly N aspects in the canyons...again a no go. in bounds at alta.
so, as it turned out, we never got out to tour backcountry. they called of the search monday after retrieving one body, which authorities believe was the only victim of the thursday slide in the canyons. we were pretty concerned, and decided to play it safe and stay in bounds. everyone in the area seemed pretty spooked. sympathies to the family of the victim, the release and avy field were pretty massive and looked to be potentially both human and naturally triggered in places, difficult to determine which caused which.
trent, keep monitoring the reports for the time being. near term it doesn't look like there were any more storms on the horizon. i'll ask my friend out there to give me a report if he tours anytime soon.