Issue with using Lithium batteries in DTS tracker
A few weeks ago while doing a beacon practice session, I noticed my DTS Tracker was not working properly in search mode. While it would transmit fine and could be picked up by other beacons, in search mode it would not give any indication of direction and gave a constant reading of 0.1 M. Normally when I put my beacon on I simply check to see whether it transmits and receives, not whether it searches correctly, so I donít know how long Iíve been using it like this. I returned it to REI and they gave me another one.
Turns out that the problem appears to be related to the use of Energizer Lithium AAA batteries. When I initially used the new beacon with the alkaline batteries supplied with it, it worked fine. Today when I changed to Lithium batteries, it ceased searching again. I also tried this with a 3rd beacon with the same result. Switching back to alkaline batteries rectifies the problem. Cursory examination of the batteries with a voltmeter shows they both put out the correct voltage, so Iím not sure what the problem is, but in any case I would advise against using Lithium batteries in your tracker (even though I love them in cold weather for other devices.)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it...
Last edited by skiyak777; 11-26-2005 at 08:29 PM.